Still, the joke is, just as Billy was the oldest in his classes, so am I (with the exception of a woman taking an interest course). Now, I'm no stranger to going back to school, in fact I've gone back to school about 3 times already. I've only finished one of those times. But I had something else going for me those times... my age. I was at just the "right" age to go back to school... between 19 and 22. I was young, carefree, living at home and plenty irresponsible.
Fast forward to now, when at 25, I've taken a big step and shifted my life back into student mode after almost 4 years of doing not that much with my life. Admittedly, 25 is still young. I realize this. But for first year University students these days, the average age seems to be 18 . So see, I've fallen off this scale a few years ago.
So not only have I uprooted my life and moved across the country to a small town with a population of a little over 4000 where I don't know anyone, but I feel that draining self conscious feeling of "I'm so old" whenever I bump into what looks like a 13 year old. This happens on a daily basis.
But enough of this sob story, because this isn't a sob story. It's actually quite an amusing situation I've voluntarily placed myself in. I want to share this social experiment with whoever would enjoy to follow.
I'll leave off with a few things I've noticed/done/seen/heard/avoided/wanted/etc. from the last week... just to get the ball rolling.
1. I avoided shaking hands with the president of the school and was given a dirty look by the "Spirit Squad" when I said I was "skipping Frosh Week so I don't need a bracelet, thanks".
2. I avoided Frosh week like the plague.
3. I heard some girls complaining about the Freshman 15 as they chugged 1.5L's of Pepsi.
4. This school is huge on athletics. You can take gym class for University credit.
5. I get lost on campus every day.
6. I've talked to 2 people in my classes. One girl in Irish Gaelic (which I've dropped), and one woman in Spanish (who is 40 and drives me nuts).
7. Drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes by yourself every day is not as fun as I make it out to be.
8. I usually pretend I'm deep into an important text message to avoid eye contact with other students.
9. Pretty much 90% of the students live in Residence so they all already know eachother.
10. The jocks are the cool kids and us cool kids are the losers. Like in 80's teen classics.


3, 4, 8=awesome
ReplyDelete10... shit man.. what a drag.
you can do it.
(i have been thinking of going back too. i totally admire you!)